Thursday, October 13, 2011

Thoughts on dinner hosting

A girl at work has some friends who regularly come over for dinner. These friends used to bring a bottle of wine and a homemade dessert with them. Eventually they changed the homemade dessert to a store-bought dessert. Then quit bringing that. Now they don’t bring wine. And to top it all off, they take leftovers home with them. In other words, these people will cook up four steaks, the visiting couple will split a steak that evening and then take home the other steak!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 

I find that tacky, but who cares what I think. What do you think?

 

Here’s the thing. I feel like people are diverting from the old ways of doing things with bringing dishes, giving hostess gifts, thank you notes, etc. I hate that. I think those things are not only precious and endearing, but an important part of hospitality and manners and just general respect for people.

 

I admit, I don’t give hostess gifts, although I would like to. It would be a nice “touch” on things. And after my high school graduation snafoo with not sending thank you notes out in a timely manner, I’ve vowed to send them out for everything. I have been the person on the other end and not received a thank you note or even a thank you. I often wondered, did they get the gift? Did grandma steal it before the wedding was over?

 

Anyway, there is importance in the little etiquette pieces of our life. It’s a tradition I’m going to continue doing and hopefully pass on.

 

So back to the scenario. What should this couple do? Anything? What are your thoughts on what the other couple did/did not do?

 

What are some traditional etiquette actions you do and/or wish you did?

 

"Manners are a sensitive awareness of the feelings of others. If you have that awareness, you have good manners, no matter what fork you use."

—Emily Post

 

 

No comments: