Monday, June 6, 2011

Fashion statements

It’s Monday. Back at work. As you can see from the picture, I work in an environment that sometimes requires a hard hat. If you had asked me at any point in my 29 years of living if I would ever have use for this in my job I would have told you “no”. It just goes to show that sometimes you have no idea what the future holds. In this case, the future was holding a hard hat.

 

No, I’m not in construction. Believe it or not, I sit at a desk all day writing work instructions. But sometimes I’m required to be on the floor to observe the actual work that is being performed and I write about it. It’s on those days that I’m also required to wear close-toed shoes (even if I’m in a cute sun dress). The fashion statements that I make each day or huge! I’m a leader you know; not a follower.

 

“Hard Hat” Chocolate Dipped High Hats

3 oz unsweetened chocolate, chopped

1 c flour

½ tsp baking powder

½ tsp baking soda

¼ tsp salt

½ c unsalted butter, soft

1 ¼ c sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp vanilla extract

½ c sour cream

½ c water

 

1 ¾ c sugar

¼ c water

3 egg whites

¼ tsp cream of tartar

1 tsp vanilla extract

 

12 oz semisweet chocolate chips

3 T canola or vegetable oil

 

Preheat the oven to 350.

Slowly melt the chocolate in a microwave-safe bowl in 30-second intervals.

Mix together the dry ingredients and set aside.

In the bowl of a standing mixer, cream the butter and sugar together. Beat in the melted chocolate until thoroughly combined. Scrape the sides of the bowl. Add the eggs, one at a time, mixing completely between each one. Stir in the vanilla and sour cream and mix well. Scrape the side of the bowl and mix for another minute.

Add half the flour mixture and mix well. Stir in the water completely and then add the remainder of the flour and mix thoroughly.

Line the muffin tins with paper liners and fill each cup until 3/4 –full.

Bake 20 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted in the middle. Allow to cool completely before frosting.

In a medium bowl, combine all the ingredients for the frosting (sugar thru vanilla). Place the bowl over a saucepan with 2 inches of simmering water. With a hand mixer, whisk the mixture on high for 10-12 minutes or until stiff peaks form. The mixture should be at 160 degrees. Remove the bowl from the heat and beat on high another 2 minutes.

Combine the chocolate and oil in the top of part of a double-boiler. Stir the mixture until it melts completely. Remove it from the heat and set aside to cool for 15-20 minutes.

Pipe about ½ c of frosting onto each cooled cupcake and coat with chocolate. Allow to stand at room temperature for 20 minutes and then refrigerate 30 minutes. Cover and continue chilling for 2 hours more.

No comments: