Wednesday, June 15, 2011

Day at the Beach

Beau, Jennifer, Riley and I went to the beach after church on Sunday. It was Riley’s first visit. We all stopped at Publix to buy subs, fruit and drinks. And while in the store, Riley wet herself…all over Jennifer. She loved that. I forgot Riley had wet herself and I went to hold her on my hip. I soon remembered. So three wet ladies and a fella headed on to Sullivan’s Island. We set up camp with our blanket and bags and put on the sunscreen. Jennifer tried putting Riley in the water but that girl screamed and screamed (Riley, not Jennifer). She was scared of the waves. So back to the sand. Riley wasn’t interested in the toys Jennifer had just bought. Rather, she wanted to eat the sand. She probably put at it for a solid 30 minutes. There was no stopping her. At least we were amused. Our beach trip was short-lived, as Jennifer was pretty exhausted with a baby. So we headed to Donna’s pool to rinse the sand off. I have to admit, that was super nice. Cool water without the fear of jellyfish or something else that could hurt me. The worst fear I have there is that someone is peeing in it and I’m then swimming in it. Ugh.

 

“I’m at the Beach” Melon Salad with Lime Syrup

¼ c water

¼ c sugar

2 tsp lime zest

3 T lime juice

¼ tsp cayenne pepper

4 c cubed watermelon

4 c cubed cantaloupe

4 c cubed honeydew

 

In a small saucepan over medium-high heat, combine sugar and water. Bring to a boil. Cook 3 minutes until syrupy. Remove from heat. Cool 10 minutes. Stir in lime zest, juice and cayenne. Cover, refrigerate. Combine melons and syrup before serving.

 

*As the salad sits, the cayenne will only get hotter. So wait a day or two if you want some excitement!

No comments: