Tuesday, June 21, 2011

Bocci's

Okay, so here’s a retraction on an earlier review of Bocci’s. I went there about a year ago and really enjoyed it. I returned last night and hated it. I guess this place is hit or miss. So my mom and I took Pop-Pop out to dinner for his 83rd birthday. He wanted Italian and I thought Bocci’s would be a good place. Lucky for me…and him, he loved his meal. Not so lucky for me…I didn’t like mine.

 

Pops ordered the seared scallops for his appetizer and…well…they did look scrumptious and very beautiful on his plate. He ate every bite. I convinced mom to let me order the steamed mussels for us to share. She had never had them and I love them! I’m so thrilled that she liked them so much. But I’ve got to say, those were second in line for the worst mussels I’ve ever had. Where were the worst? Hmm… I can’t remember, but they had sand in them and they sour. Yuck. I think I must have repressed the whole experience. The best mussels? Cinque Terre, Italy-large mussels stuffed with parmesan and bread crumbs and covered in marinara. Yes. Those were the best.

 

Moving on…

 

Pops ordered the Spaghetti Bolognese. I did as well. I was shocked too. Such a plain dish if you will. But I was craving pasta (long noodle pasta) and Bolognese. Needless to say, I should have held out for a better place. Very disappointing. The sauce wouldn’t cling to the pasta, pasta had no flavor, Bolognese had no flavor. Very underwhelmed. Can I just put in a little blip for some delightful Bolognese? (Of course I can, this is my blog.) Mercato, downtown on Market Street. Wonderful Spaghetti Bolognese and while we’re at it, their sautéed Brussels Sprouts are out of this world!

 

Mom on the other hand loved her Eggplant Parmesan. And I’ve got to say, it was some of the best I’ve ever had. Two very crispy fried eggplant disks (large) stuffed with ricotta cheese in between and covered in marinara and mozzarella. Yes, that was good.

 

But like I said, hit or miss. Good luck.

 

No comments: