Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Orlando...again

Well, it was mine and Beau's 3rd trip to Florida in a 7-week span. If you remember, our first was for the cruise with Donna out of Pork Canaveral and the other one was to Orlando for the Capital One Bowl at the beginning of this month. And this weekend we headed down there for a class and a Grant Writer's Certification Test for me. We left Thursday after work and arrived kind of late that night, but not a big deal. We woke up early Friday morning and Beau dropped me off at the class at 8:30. I sat in a classroom setting all day learning about Grant writing, while Beau did Pfizer work, made a hair cut appt. for me, worked on his Master's project and did some homework. He came to pick me up that evening and when we got in the car to crank it up and head out to dinner, it was dead. No moving for the us or the Subaru. We were able to get a tow truck and a rental car from Enterprise which was located in the hotel that my class was in! Very convenient! So then there we were riding the rest of the evening in a giant Suburban! It was huge!
 
We went to Downtown Disney for dinner and had a nice little break from studying. The night ended early so I could get more studying done and get to bed early. My test was the next night!
 
Saturday was the same deal. Up and at the hotel to take my test! Overall, I feel like I did really well. I finished a lot earlier than most, but that's always been the case for me. It doesn't mean I aced it or anything, just fast. But I feel good about it.
 
Beau and I celebrated being finished with that task looming over me by going back to Downtown Disney for a drink and then catching the bus to the Contemporary Hotel where we had reservations at the California Grill. The restaurant overlooks the Majic Kingdom and at 8:00 the fireworks go off!
 
We started off our evening at the bar. Beau having a dirty martini, which is his new go-to and I had a French martini with chambord! Super good.  We were taken to our table where Jorge served us bread and water. Beau ordered a bottle of red wine and our dinner was underway. We ordered a Sopprosetta Salami flatbread with arugula and a balsamic syrup, as well as Gnocchi in a garlic cream sauce with exotic mushrooms, pancetta and edamame. That was one of two favorite things all evening!
 
For our entree, both of us ordered the seared Bison with roasted brussels sprouts and truffled mac and cheese. Yep, it was fabulous! The bison was super tender and flavorful (rolled in black peppercorn) and the mac and cheese was heaven in my mouth.
 
The weekend could have been drab with class and a test, but we made it into a super fun weekend that we loved.
 
We took a leisurely drive home doing homework and studying for class. I read to Beau. He was driving.

No comments: