Thursday, April 4, 2013

Welcoming the newbies

Beau and I had a couple from school move into our neighborhood a few weeks ago. We are now no longer the youngest couple in the neighborhood!

So what did I do?! I made them a cake! A Nectarine Upside-Down Cake. My first! That’s right, I’ve never made nor have I eaten an upside-down cake, even the famous pineapple. But because I don’t like to waste food (waste not, want not), I was on a mission to use the leftover sliced up nectarines I had in my fridge.

All of those nectarines in a Tupperware container begging to be eaten. They were just too much! Too much!

I also have another reason for doing. When Beau and I moved into this neighborhood we were looking forward to  meeting our neighbors and having relationships with them and we honestly thought they would come over and welcome us to the neighborhood. You can chalk that up to a silly dream that Beau and I had or that we had experienced it growing up and people would do that with our parents. We thought it would be the same with us. That was not the case…

So after weeks of waiting on the neighbors to come to us, we went to them. I made a few Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Pound Cakes and took them to each of our four neighbors (one house was vacant-and we took them a strawberry pound cake when they moved in). They were shocked to see us standing at their doors eagerly awaiting the introduction and the presenting of the cakes. Three of them just said thank you and we left. One couple invited us in and we talked a bit. We have relationships with our neighbors and I can’t say for sure if it was because of the cake or not, but I’m still really glad we did that.

Beau and I are of the belief that 1) You treat others as you would want to be treated, also meaning doing for them for what you would love for them to do for you 2) Be the change you want to see in the world and 3) Don’t always wait for others or you’ll be waiting for everyone. There have been many good things that have been missed because of waiting for others.

So back to these classmates. They’re new to the neighborhood and because we wanted to and we vowed we would be “that” couple, we took them that cake on Monday night.

They invited us in, we talked a few minutes and then excused ourselves to go home and relax on the couch after our day. J

Here’s to hopefully making people feel special and loved!

*Please excuse the photo. My camera phone is not so great.

No comments: