Monday, June 3, 2013

Two Great Movies

Beau and I have watched two great movies lately:

 

Argo – about the Americans working at the embassy in Iran in 1979 who were held hostage in exchange for the extradition of their former President back to Iran so they could torture him there. Ben Affleck is the star. It’s captivating and really very good. Will definitely hold your attention.

 

Atlas Shrugged II – Beau and I loved the first Atlas Shruggged. But goodness, it will get you fired up. If you’ve seen the first one, see  the second one for sure. If you haven’t seen the first one, do so immediately. And just for my own sanity, please realize that the movie is not about  trains.

 

Meanwhile, this weekend, we did some good celebrating and cooking.

 

Beau and I took the Project Management Professional (PMP) Certification test on Friday and passed! Huge deal! We were so relieved! We went out Friday night to celebrate.

 

Saturday we laid low at the house and did some grilling. I’ve been making two new things lately:

 

Spicy Cabbage Salad

Sauteed Kale

 

With the kale, I merely go an anti-vegetarian route and cook down some bacon on low to render the fat and then add garlic, onion and crushed red pepper. Following that comes the kale. I cook it on medium until the greens cook down, add some salt and pepper and voila. Oh, and throughout I may add some coconut oil if the pan gets too dry.

 

Spicy Cabbage Salad

5-6 cups finely chopped green cabbage (about 1/2 large head of cabbage)
1 cup diced tomatoes (I used diced grape tomatoes)
1/2 cup celery, sliced (or if the celery is large, I would cut in half before slicing)
1/2 cup chopped celery leaves (optional, but good)
6 radishes, stem and root cut off and cut into half-moon slices (optional, but good)
1/4 cup sliced green onions (dark green part)

Dressing:
2 T apple cider vinegar
1 tsp. fresh lime juice
1/2 tsp. salt
1/4-1/2 tsp. hot pepper sauce (I used
Sriracha sauce; use any hot sauce that has a good flavor.  If you have some type of Carribean hot sauce it would be perfect in this.)
3 T grapeseed oil (or other neutral-flavored oil such as canola will work)

Chop cabbage, tomatoes, and celery leaves, and slice celery, radishes, and green onions.  Toss all the salad ingredients together in a large bowl.  (If making ahead use a plastic bowl with a tight-fitting lid.)

 

In a small bowl, mix together the apple cider vinegar, fresh lime juice, salt, and hot sauce to taste.  (I would start with a smaller amount of hot sauce, because you can always add more.)   Whisk in the oil, one tablespoon at a time.  Taste to see if you want to add more hot sauce.

 

Toss salad with desired amount of dressing.  (You may not need all the dressing if you omit some of the optional ingredients.)  Salad can be made ahead and stored in the refrigerator for a few hours, and is even surprising good when it's been refrigerated overnight.

 

*I added more salt and I just emptied my hot sauce bottle. It does need more hot sauce than what it calls for. Of course, I didn’t use Carribean hot sauce. I used Cholula. Use whatever you’ve got on hand; I’m sure it will taste wonderful.

 

We’ve got so many vegetables from our co-op we’re getting creative with how to use them!

 

No comments: