Thursday, February 21, 2013

Mercy

This morning on the way to work I was listening to a song that was talking about God’s mercies and how they’re sometimes hidden. Or rather we sometimes fail to see them.

 

How many times have I been so angry and frustrated at traffic on the highway only to realize that had I been a few minutes sooner on the road I could have been hit by that truck. God’s mercy.

 

Grace is a big word. One I don’t claim to understand fully. But mercy is a new word to me. Obviously, I’ve heard it before. I’ve heard it many times, but what’s new to me is the depth it’s reaching. Mercy. What does it mean?

 

Mercy:

1. compassion or forbearance shown especially to an offender or to one subject to one’s power

2. a blessing that is an act of divine favor or compassion

3. compassionate treatment of those in distress

 

Compassion. Blessing.

 

Sometimes it feels so undeserved.

 

No comments: