Wednesday, February 20, 2013

Back to Work

I’m back to work today. Bittersweet. Happy to not be sick of course, but never thrilled to be sitting here rather than at home with those I love.

 

Work and responsibilities really do get in the way of doing the things we love the most. Although, I guess we probably wouldn’t cherish those times of being with friends and family quite as much if we weren’t away from them as well.

 

“The most depressing thing ever said about vegetables is that they are good for one.”  ~ Nika Hazelton

 

Beau and I had the pleasure of having dinner with Robyn and Dave Fallaw on Friday night at a new restaurant downtown called Stars. Kind of a corny name I know, but the food is really good.

 

Beau and I arrived early for drinks. Not much there regarding that. I mean, it’s physically there, plenty of it, don’t get me wrong. But the flavors didn’t meld well together and they were just blah. But the food, yes please.

 

Appetizers: Oysters Rockefeller & Wild Mushroom Crostini

 

Entrée:

Robyn and Beau: Lobster and grits with bacon and broccoli. I wish we had taken a picture of that dish. It was something to gawk at for sure. A whole lobster sitting a top a bowl of grits. The whole thing! They removed the tail meat, grilled it and then put it back in the shell. Wow!

 

Dave: Whole North Carolina Trout served with greens

 

Kathryn: NY Strip with fried potatoes and crème fraiche and Brussels sprouts with feta and lemon. I can only speak to my dish of course, but it was delicious. Everything was perfectly seasoned, cooked perfectly and wonderful sitting on my tongue. I told Beau that I could have eaten an entire bowl of just the Brussels sprouts. They took apart the sprouts leaf by leaf and made them nice and crispy. J

 

Dessert: We all split their Pluff Mud dessert. To be honest, it was okay. Definitely chocolaty, which they promised, but just a mousse. Nothing special.

No comments: