Friday, May 13, 2011

Our guard dog

I was sound asleep when Argos (our Australian cattle dog) began running around the house barking like crazy! I do not have words to describe how scared I was.  At first I thought someone was breaking in. Then I saw all these  yellow lights flashing outside the house and thought “Good gracious, what is that?!” Fear was running rampant as the thought of a fire or the military or I don’t even know, crossed my mind. I grabbed my glasses and my cell phone in case I needed to call Beau while I was hiding in some closet and I ran into the den to see what Argos was screaming about. At this point I’m having a hard time walking because all feeling has left my limbs. I looked through the blinds to see a dump truck going down our street flashing huge, bright yellow lights into the houses. Whew! Calm down Argos. Calm down Kathryn. Back to bed we went. It wasn’t until I laid down in the bed that I remembered we had a gun I should have grabbed just in case. Next time…

 

“Yellow Light” Lemon Meringue Pie

1 c sugar

3 T cornstarch

1 ½ c water

2 T butter

1 baked pie crust

2 T flour

¼ tsp salt

2 lemons, juice and zest

4 egg yolks, beaten

4 egg whites

6 T sugar

 

In a medium saucepan, whisk sugar, flour, cornstarch and salt. Stir in water, lemon juice and zest. Cook over meiudm-high heat, stirring frequently, until it comes to a boil. Sstir in butter. Place egg yolks in a small bowl and whisk in ½ c of the hot sugar mixture very slowly and in a steady stream. Whisk that mixture back into the rest of the sugar mixture. Bring to a boil and continue to cook while constantly stirring until the mixture becomes thick. Remove from the heat. Pour into the baked crust.

 

In a large glass or metal bowl, whip egg whites until foamy. Gradually add the sugar and continue to whip until stiff peaks form.

 

Spread the meringue on top of the lemon mixture and if you like you can take the bottom of a large spoon and make little pointy tops (my verbiage J).

 

Bake on 425 until meringue is golden.

 

*This was my grandmother’s recipe and a family favorite. Add as much lemon zest as your tastebuds can bare!

 

No comments: