Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Because my mother asked

For all of you out there who are looking for something easy to make for dinner that will no doubt be a crowd-pleaser, here’s one. But WARNING! It’s not even remotely healthy for you. And part of me hates putting a recipe out there that has canned soup in it, but let’s be honest, sometimes those really hit the spot. This is a recipe given to me by my friend, Sara, years ago and I gave it to my mom this morning.

 

”Easy Tuesday” Chicken Italiano

2 T oil

8 boneless chicken breast halves

1 stick butter (I always use salted butter when cooking-not baking)

8 oz cream cheese (I use 1/3 less fat-you can’t tell the difference in taste or texture)

1 can cream of mushroom (low fat or low sodium is the way to go with the same flavor)

1 envelope zesty Italian dressing mix (can use regular if you can’t find Zesty)

1 c white wine (cooking wine or drinking wine)

2 c sliced mushrooms

 

Preheat oven to 350. Sauté chicken in oil until lightly browned on all sides. Pour into 9x13 baking dish and cover to keep warm.

 

Combine soup, ½ c wine, butter, cream cheese and Italian dressing mix in a saucepan over low heat. Stir to combine. Add 1 c mushrooms.

 

Pour mixture over the chicken evenly. Drizzle remaining white wine over the top and scatter remaining 1 cup mushrooms. Bake 45-60 minutes, until bubbly and chicken is cooked through. Serve over pasta, linguine or even penne.

 

And obviously put some sort of vegetable on your plate!

No comments: