Monday, April 14, 2014

Sailing trip in the books

Well the sailing “trip of a lifetime” is officially over. On our last day we sailing 30+ nautical miles from No Name Harbor back to Ft. Lauderdale. Winds were out of the NE and the sea state was larger than I would have liked, but we survived. We zig zagged up the gulf stream heading from 100ft deep to 250 and I ran the fishing gear. At one point mom and I were the only people on the bridge and when we saw a big group of flying fish I commented that those were the little guys that our target fish should be eating. At that moment the rod started buzzing with line going out. I headed back to start bringing it in and all the rest of my crew (haha) started to look alive. Morg and Kathryn brought in the jib and luffed the mail while mom reeled in the other line and captured the fight. I turned out to be a little tuna which is in the freeze for all to enjoy some future Sunday. It was really a highlight of the day and trip for me. I asked the others what they liked and Kathryn enjoyed the adventure of using the dingy to head into dinner, Morg liked the whole process of running the boat, and Mom liked spending time with everyone and the solitude. Despite all the time we ran the engines and generator we only went through $300 bucks of diesel so I am going to be less concerned with that in the future, but our GAS gauges didn’t read accurately. And that is just one example of the problems we had with FITS. We will not use the same outfit again as they seem to be running the boats into the ground with little maintenance, but for a cruise to start our barefooting careers this was certainly a good choice. More pictures to come as we share the different cameras.

 

1 comment:

Eric R. said...

I am jealous!
Live on a boat and not sailing her yet is killing me!
May is our sailing/learning month.
Regards,
Eric R.
S/V EW-WE II
COB