Thursday, April 10, 2014

Full day of sailing

When we left Holiday Isle Wednesday am the winds were strong but favorable for a northerly sail so we started back. We stayed in Hawk Channel the majority of the day and closer to land as the waves were just rolling. We were in consistent 1-2 foot seas with an occasional 4 or 5. In addition the winds gusted as high as 48 knots that I saw so we only flew the jib. Even so mom and I was nearly 7 knots with the jib which from my perspective is flying on a sailboat. Morgan had some work to do (boo!) so it was Kathryn, Mom, and I manning the ship all day. We hoped to see more wildlife but except the occasional cormorant little appeared. I should mention that on the way into Holiday we saw a Portuguese man-of-war which was a first. Anyway the excitement of the day was heading back through Anglefish Creek all 3 of us weren't paying attention and we nearly took out a channel marker. We did tap it. Just a tap. I looked down to look at the chart plotter and pop my head up when mom starts a crescendo of baby Baby BABY! I slammed it into reverse and like a said only a tap. I am attaching a screen shot of the plotter. Lesson: don't take eyes off water or maybe that they move. I can't really say. We sailed north through Card Sound and back into Biscayne bay and spend the night in north Elliot Key near Boca Chita. More to come later since I can't get good cellular reception. I can see Miami but not reception. Wierd.

No comments: