Monday, January 27, 2014

Stretching Myself in 2014

I have decided that to stretch myself this year I am going to cook my way through the new cookbook Beau got me for Christmas, Thomas Keller's,  Bouchon. My first attempt was the Beef cooked in Red Wine.

This attempt started at 2:00 and ended around 7:00. Now, I have made Julia Child's recipe and while they are similar, one does out-do the other.

I never thought I would say this but Julia Child's recipe was easier and less time consuming and cheaper. And at the end of the day, it tasted better. JC's recipe had more of a wine flavor, which I love! It also had the vegetables cook in the wine/broth and then you actually eat those vegetables. Instead, Keller’s recipe had me use three different sets of vegetables and throw two sets out, which was a whole lot of waste. In addition, those vegetables cooked in the wine and the broth (the ones that soaked up all the flavor) were not eaten, they were the ones thrown out. So in this comparison JC won!

Not sure what's in store for next month!

No comments: