Thursday, August 15, 2013

Coq au Vin

“I cook with wine, sometimes I even add it to the food.”

~ W.C. Fields

 

Yesterday I made my mother and I a super delicious pot of Coq au Vin made in the crockpot. The aroma as I walked  through the front door was warming. In fact, mom and I opted out of something else we had planned just to eat sooner because we didn’t want to wait. It’s a simple recipe with fresh ingredients and one and a half cups of red wine. Who would say no to that?  The meat fell off the bone so no need to worry about having to eat off the bone (if that is of concern to you). It’s a keeper and a great one to serve to a crowd or to guests or if you’re in need of food that’s warming to soul while still quite light. Try it!

 

Slow Cooker Coq au Vin

 

8 skinless chicken thighs (*I used drumsticks)

3 T unsalted butter (I used salted because that’s what I had)

4 strips of bacon, diced

3 T all purpose flour

Salt and pepper

1 large onion, diced

2 carrots, diced

3 cloves garlic, minced

8 oz cremini mushrooms (I used an assortment of wild mushrooms)

1.5 c red wine

½ chicken broth

2 thyme sprig

 

Arrange chicken on a large sheet of waxed paper. Season both sides with salt and pepper. Lightly coat chicken all over with flour and set aside.

Heat a large nonstick skillet over medium heat. Add bacon and cook until golden and just crisp, 3 minutes. Drain bacon on paper towels and set aside. Discard drippings and wipe out skillet. Melt 2 tablespoons butter (or heat oil, if using) in same skillet over medium high heat. Add chicken and cook until lightly browned all over, about 3 minutes per side. Transfer chicken to a large plate as done and set aside.

Melt remaining 1 tablespoon butter or oil in same skillet. Add mushrooms and cook until edges begin to brown, 3 to 5 minutes. Add carrots, onions, garlic and salt and cook until vegetables just begin to soften. Transfer vegetables and broth to crock pot. Arrange chicken on top. Sprinkle bacon over chicken. Add wine and thyme sprigs. Cover and cook on low for 6 to 7 hours. Season with salt and pepper, then serve.

 

 

 

No comments: