Tuesday, August 13, 2013

Cauliflower

There’s a lot that can be done with cauliflower. And I don’t know if you’ve noticed, but cauliflower is the new asparagus. At least to some. It’s popping up everywhere and in everything. For some reason, the discovery of roasting it is a new concept. It’s delicious! I toss it with bacon and pine nuts and sauté it. I eat it raw. I put it in soups. I chop it fine and serve it like rice. And last night I boiled it with chopped turnips, put in my Cuisinart food processor with some almond milk, ghee and salt and pepper and made it into mock mashed potatoes. I’ll tell you that the turnip really made a difference as far as the taste. The cauliflower “mashed potatoes” were not thick. They had the consistency of boxed mashed potatoes, but they had the flavor of real mashed potatoes. So try them out. For a whole cup, 50 calories. That beats potatoes for sure! Next time I think I’m going to try adding parsnips or rutabagas as a thickener.

 

No comments: