Thursday, July 12, 2012

RSVP

If you’ve ever hosted anything or invited a group of people out, you realize the importance of an RSVP. So let me take a moment to discuss a point that is very near and dear to me. The idea of the RSVP! I have often said that I wanted to host a dinner party in which I would serve quail or something that required an exact count on who was coming. That way when someone showed up for dinner and they didn’t RSVP, I could let them in but they couldn’t eat because they didn’t tell me they were coming. Now, would I really not feed them? No. I would most likely give them mine and then force Beau to share his with me. Anyway, to not RSVP to an invite of any degree is rude. Whether you’ve been invited to someone’s house for a party, a barbeque, a formal dinner or out with friends for any reason. We should all make a point to at least respond, even if unsure of availability. It’s even been made easy for people by sending invitations through email or the internet. It requires clicking “yes” or “no”. What else do you need?

 

I have included Emily Post’s guide to RSVPing and the importance of it.

 

How Do I RSVP?

No matter how you receive an invitation, it's critical to let your host know if you'll be accepting...or not.

That's right, except for a "regrets only" it's just as important to let your host know if you can't attend as it is to let him know that you can. Here are some typical ways invitations are extended and how to RSVP.

 

Mailed invitation with a phone number...

Call and make sure to give your response in person- an answering machine can be unreliable.

..."texts welcome!"

Nice option! Go ahead and text your reply.

E-mailed invitation

Hit the REPLY button

E-vite®

Follow the directions to reply and don't stress out over trumping another guest's witty response. If you opt for "Maybe," make sure you follow up with your final answer.

Phoned invitation

You can respond right away, or if you prefer not to be put on the spot, say, "Let me check my calendar and get right back to you." Just be sure you do exactly that!

Mailed invitation with a response card

Fill in the card and return it in the enclosed envelope. Reply right away or by the date indicated.

Mailed invitation with RSVP and no response card

Send a prompt handwritten reply to the host at the address on the envelope.

Regrets only

You only need to reply if you can't go. If your host doesn't hear from you, he's expecting you to be there.

 

 

No comments: