Friday, August 7, 2015

No Judgement Here

I'm currently on a flight to San Diego to hang out with Beau for the weekend. My first time leaving the kids overnight. I"m not nervous at all about it. I just miss them terribly already and I'm already feeling guilty for leaving them...although I know I shouldn't feel that way. But guilt will attack you when you're vulnerable. That I know.

Prior to having children I would never have empathized with the lady sitting a couple ros up from me who is traveling with her baby. Sad to say, I would have been annoyed at the loud cries coming from the child for the first hour of our flight.

But now? Now I completely empathize. I haven't been in her exact situation because, well, I haven't been brave...or crazy enough to take my children on a flight, but I've been a similar one.

A good friend of mine once told me that when your child is screaming in public (wherever you might be) and there's nothing you can do about it and you don't know why it's happening, that those who judge you, shouldn't and those who should, won't. It made sense.

I'm not judging. I know how embarrassed you feel and helpless at your child's screaming. Believe me, I don't want them screaming. It's not like I asked them to or that I find it humorous that we're disrupting your day, but it's happening. 

So next time you're in public and a baby is crying, take a look at mom. Does she look completely overwhelmed? Probably. Show her some grace. Buy her some M&Ms or better yet, a glass of wine and smile. Believe it or not, a friendly smile instead of a glaring look can help everyone.

No comments: